Friday, June 21, 2013

The declaration of you

This blog post is in support of a new book by Michelle Ward and Jessica Swift called The Declaration of You. The Declaration of You will be published by North Light Craft Books this summer, with readers getting all the permission they’ve craved to step passionately into their lives, discover how they and their gifts are unique and uncover what they are meant to do! This post is part of The Declaration of You’s BlogLovin’ Tour, which I’m thrilled to participate in alongside over 100 other creative bloggers. Learn more — and join us! – by clicking here.

 *



in·ten·tion  -n.  
A course of action that one intends to follow.



-versus -


goal -n. 
 The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed, an objective.



Although these are synonyms according to the official dictionaries, I like to talk a little about difference {for me} between these two words.





To me intentions are more spiritual than goals.

Goals I set to achieve tangible things, to get to a certain point, to finish a task within a certain time-span, things like that. Intentions are more the thoughts that are created in my mind: things I wish to do, I plan to do. These thoughts mainly have to do with actions towards others. People I like to help in some way or who like to surprise or inspire. I get these intentional thoughts on a daily basis while I am working in my studio. I don’t decide what they are going to be, they just come to me. I line them up in my head and try to make sure I act on them when the time is there. And this is the bit that makes it all a little uneasy for me. See, I do not plan these intentions to present themselves to me in my thoughts and I have very limited time outside of work, family and well…more work. So, getting to honour my intentions sometimes gets a little hard. My head gets very full and sometimes it overwhelms me. But new intentional thoughts keep coming, every day again and again. I think it must mean that I have a bigger heart than I initially thought was possible. Maybe it all started after the earthquakes I lived through. It definitely changed my outlook on life and made compassion and just being nice and good towards oneself and others more important. I do not plan for my future, I do dream a lot. This is another word play for me. Planning is more like setting goals {business} and dreams are more like intentions {spiritual}



My intention for this post was to share with you a little painting I made for the Winter Solstice -since I am posting on the 21st , the shortest day here in the Southern Hemisphere. And to inspire you with a little extra information about Matariki (the Maori New Year) which coincides with the Solstice. You can find a little more about this here http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/matariki-maori-new-year/page-1



My goal was to get this post up in time and I am glad I managed that , because my goals don’t always get met. I seem to act more on my intentions.

I hope you have enjoyed my little comparison.

Happy Winter Solstice ! 
 *
{or Summer Solstice for you on the Northern Hemisphere of course}


No comments: